The history of Aegli

In the area of ​​the harbour and in the historical center of the present city, different archaeological complexes of different ages blend. The ancient arcade and market, the temples of Aphrodite and Hercules, next to the Hippocrates’ plane tree, the Medieval Castle, the Christian churches and the buildings of the island's recent history.

In the heart of Kos

To the east of the square is the site of the ancient market of Kos (4th - 3rd century BC), a market of the largest and most famous of the ancient world.

In the Square of Freedom, the traces left by history along the way, harmonious guards who preserve and testify to the cultural peculiarities and cultural imprints engraved in the customs of the place and in the local tradition, have been harmoniously coexisting for centuries.

The newer history of the square is marked by a devastating earthquake in 1933 that devastated the city of Kos. The main concern of the Italian conquerors was the rebuilding of the square, but after the hit of Enceladus, the pre-existing "castle", a glorious monument of the city's perimeter wall, survived from 1400 AD. As well as the Defterdar Mosque built in 1786. As part of this reconstruction, benefactors of the conquerors rushed to create the "house of fascism", called casa del fascio cinema-teatro-ristorante, to which the regime's supporters would gather..This is the beginning of the newest story of the building, where our space is housed. In the same year, in 1933, architect Armando Bernabiti made the building's plans and a year later, in 1934, began construction in the year 1935.

Almost simultaneously with the construction of the fascist building, the municipal market is also being built. During this two years, from 1934 to 1936, building and reconstruction, the archaeological museum is being built. The composition of these Italian buildings perimeter remodels the view of the square.

In 1948, after the liberation and integration of the Dodecanese with Greece, the house di fascio's property passed into the property of the municipality and was rented to individuals, continuing to function as a restaurant called "Panhellenic".

In 1997 it was renovated with respect to the Italian pre-existing architecture from the municipality and operated as a municipal enterprise café "Aegli".

Arriving today, in 2012, this historic building was granted by the municipality of Kos to the first social cooperative enterprise "KOS ASPIS EFFRINEIN", aiming at the promotion of local gastronomy.